Established in 1851, St. George Parish was staffed by the Jesuit Community of Fathers for over one hundred years, then by Archdiocesan priests. The present church was built in 1959. The St. George Community Center Building was erected in 1984, replacing the old church hall.
Saint Francis Xavier Chapel
Over a century old, this building, with its front doors facing the Potomac River, is a place of worship for many island residents and those from nearby Piney Point. Deterioration, need for repair and age caused the Chapel to be closed for its unsafe condition in 1974. It was restored in 1987 as a mission of St. George Church. The bell tower, struck by lightening in the 1950's, was recently reconstructed.